White Oak was founded in
1801. According to history records, our
church has belonged to several associations throughout the years.
Tate’s Creek from 1801 to 1809
Cumberland River from 1809 to 1825
South Concord from 1825 to 1842
South Cumberland River from 1842 to 1905
Pulaski Baptist from 1905 to 1930
Cumberland River from 1930 to present
The original church building was a log structure on the
bank of White Oak Creek. The first church burned at some
point and for a time during the 1860s, meetings were
held at Lee School building. The church voted to build a
new building in 1876, and one was built in 1877—on the
approximate location where the church is today. The size
of that building was 40 feet by 30 feet. In 1920,
another building replaced the one built in 1877. The new
one was dedicated to the Lord in 1927, after being paid
off. In 1952, the church voted to remodel that building
but upon close inspection, it was found beyond repair
due to termite damage, etc. The building was then torn
down and a new brick building was erected in its place.
This structure was completed and dedicated to the Lord
on June 16, 1954. It is part of the beautiful building
in which we worship today. An addition to this building
was completed and dedicated in 1961. Then, in 1982, our
fellowship hall and kitchens were added at the rear of
the building, along with a basement area under the
addition containing more Sunday school rooms. A family
life center was added in the 2000s.
Nationally, White Oak is a
member of the American Baptist Association (ABA).
Evidence points to White Oak as being the oldest church
in the ABA today.
From 1801 to 2011, we grew from 35 charter members to
approximately 500 in membership and have proclaimed
Christ in this community and indeed the entire world.